From the ‘Journal’ of Friday, July 15, 1988

0
Have your say

Minister agrees to meet Council deputation: Derry City Council was informed last night that Deputy Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, Mr John Stanley, has agreed to meet a council deputation early next week to discuss the controversial closure of Strand Road which has met with unanimous condemnation from all sections of the local community. All planned protests at the erection of the barriers, which it is feared will put local traders “to the wall,” has been suspended pending the outcome of the meeting with Mr Stanley.

And a proposal by DUP councillor Gregory Campbell, that the council should request an immediate meeting with senior RUC officers including the Chief Constable, Sir Jack Hermon, was also agreed at the meeting of the General Purposes Committee in the Guildhall.

Exhibition ‘insult’ to Derry: Derry City Council members Alderman William O’Connell and Col. Joe Fegan are to call on the Council to break off all ties with the Ulster Museum because of what they describe as the museum’s “shabby treatment” of the Council in relation to the La Trinidad Valencera exhibition currently on display at the Foyle Valley Railway Museum in Derry. Alderman O’Connell said the exhibition was nothing more than “a couple of boards displaying photographs of artifacts from the Spanish Armada ship.” There were no artifacts from the ship on display and many visitors to the exhibition had expressed disappointment to Colr. Fegan and himself about the poor standard of the display.

Dunree Fort ‘not closing’ : The Department of Defence has dispelled fears that Dunree Fort is to close. There was specultion earlier in the week in Inishowen that the fort along with the guns of Dunree museum were to be closed in government cutbacks. But a spokesman for the Department of Defence said that this was not the case.