THE parishioners of Ardmore and their friends from surrounding parishes will continue their series of pilgrim walks in the footsteps of St Patrick tomorrow (Sat), with a visit to the ancient Patrician Foundation of ‘Domhnach Senliss’ in Lettershandoney.
This follows their successful climb of Slemish and a prayerful gathering at St Brecan’s Church Ruins in St Columb’s Park, Derry.
The walks have been organised by Ardmore Pastoral Centre to mark the Year of Faith and the next Turas will get underway at 2 pm tomorrow when people are asked to gather at the Old Cross at Mullabuoy Cemetery.
Fr Farren explained: “There will then be a pilgrim walk, of about one mile, to Gorticross, Lettershandoney. According to the Environment and Heritage Service, the Gorticross field is the site of the early Church, Domnach – Senlis, one of the seven churches in the Faughan region, which are documented as having been founded by St Patrick.The church structure was dismantled to obtain stone for a castle which once stood a few fields west of the church and was demolished in 1641.
“The name Gorticross is significant as it refers to the stone cross which was once situated here and is now situated in the townland of Mullabuoy. Although nothing is visible above the ground, the field may contain the sub surface remains of the church and other structures, as well as burials.”