Argos stop selling ‘hoverboards’ after fire risks

A 'hoverboard' that caught fire earlier this week.
A 'hoverboard' that caught fire earlier this week.
0
Have your say

Argos stores in Derry, Strabane and throughout the rest of the UK have stopped selling ‘hoverboards’ after some products caught fire.

Argos, John Lewis and Internet retail giant, Amazon, have both stopped selling the ‘hoverboards’ called Nevaboards.

Buyers of the ‘hoverboards’ have been urged by Amazon to dispose of them after it emerged that more than 500,000 people who bought the items could be exposed to fire risks.

Amazon is asking customers who bought the ‘hoverboards’ to take them to a local recycling point for electronic equipment.

It is believed that those who could be exposed to fire risks bought cheaper unbranded versions from China.

Electricians who examined the imports from China found some of them had “illegal and dangerous” plugs.

However, in recent days it has emerged that a ‘hoverboard’ made by Swagway, one of the leading brands, caught fire in New York last week.

The ‘hoverboards’ are amongst the most sought after gift items this Christmas.

The retail ombudsman for the UK has called on retail organisations to offer customers who bought one of the unsafe ‘hoverboards’ a full refund.

“I urge UK retailers to take the responsible step of removing unsafe ‘hoverboards’ from sale,” said Dean Dunham.

The 'hoverboards' are amongst the most sought after gift items this Christmas.

The 'hoverboards' are amongst the most sought after gift items this Christmas.

“Consumers who have already purchased a ‘hoverboard’ should contact the retailer and for their written assurance that it’s safe and in particular that it has a compliant plug with a fuse,” he added.

Amazon customers with models suspected to be faulty will be issued with automatic refunds for the full price, between £200-£500, within days.