Bloody Sunday families in legal challenge

Thirteen people were shot dead in Derry's Bogside on Bloody Sunday.
Thirteen people were shot dead in Derry's Bogside on Bloody Sunday.

Families of those murdered on Bloody Sunday are to challenge a decision to effectively end a fresh criminal investigation into the 1972 Bogside massacre.

Solicitor Peter Madden has confirmed that he has lodged judicial review proceedings challenging the decision by the PSNI Chief Constable to drastically scale back the multiple murder probe.

Last month, it emerged the new probe was is in doubt after cuts to Northern Ireland police budgets reduced the inquiry team to a handful of officers.

Sources said the team investigating the Bloody Sunday shootings had been cut to “single figures” after the PSNI was told to save £51m. in austerity cuts.

In a statement released today, Peter Madden, who represents the majority of those killed and injured on Bloody Sunday. said: “We are taking these proceedings on behalf of twenty of our clients who are the next of kin of those murdered, the wounded and the families of the wounded who have since died.

“The Chief Constable’s decision to end this murder enquiry was made on the eve of the commencement of the process where the soldiers were to be interviewed under caution. Less than six months ago, the PSNI talked of its ‘statutory duty to investigate fully all matters of serious crime, including murder’, in its pursuit of the Boston College Tapes. It appears this statutory duty does not extend to murders committed by the British Army.”