A Book of Condolence has opened at Derry’s Guildhall to remember the victims of the Norway massacre.
A bombing in the capital, Oslo, and a gun attack on a youth camp on Utoeya island, killed at least 93 people last Friday. Suspected mass killer Anders Behring Breivik, appeared in court yesterday.
The Mayor of Derry, Alderman Maurice Devenney, opened a Book of Condolence to remember the victims yesterday afternoon. It will be open to the public from 9am to 5pm for the remainder of the week.
Extending his sympathies to those affected by the tragedies, Mayor Devenney said the thoughts and prayers of the whole community were with the people of Norway.
“This is a terrible time for the people of Norway. They are numb with shock and emotion and are finding it hard to comprehend the reasoning behind this most tragic act of terror. The Book of Condolence will provide local people with an opportunity to express their sympathy and offer their support to the victims and their families as they try to come to terms with their loss,” he said.
Norwegian police are investigating claims by Breivik, who has admitted carrying out Friday’s violent twin attacks, that he has “two more cells” working with him.
Breivik made the claim as he attended his first court hearing yesterday following the atrocities.
Judge Kim Heger ruled that the hearing should be held behind closed doors. There had been concern among many Norwegians that Breivik would use the hearing to deliver a speech seeking to justify his actions.
Instead Judge Heger summarised Breivik’s words in his post-hearing statement. The judge said Breivik had argued that he was acting to save Norway and Europe from Muslim colonisation.
He was detained for eight weeks