Call for carbon monoxide detectors in all local homes

Sinn Fein Councillor Tony Hassan.

Sinn Fein Councillor Tony Hassan.

0
Have your say

Local people have been urged to be aware of the potentially lethal dangers of carbon monoxide poisoining.

Sinn Féin Housing spokesman, Tony Hassan, raised the alarm as November is Carbon Monoxide Awareness month.

He said: “Carbon Monoxide is an odourless gas that kills and unfortunately over the past few years we have seen an increase in tragic deaths. It is important that people are aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning, the situations that cause poisoning and how we can protect ourselves.

“I am calling on house providers both public and private to install carbon monoxide detectors in all new builds and for a subsidy to be provided for people to purchase detectors for current homes. I would call on people especially those who live in buildings deemed at high risk to purchase a detector immediately as this small investment could save you and your family’s lives.”