Sinn Féin councillor Tony Hassan has called on those responsible for causing a security alert and issuing death threats in Shantallow to explain themselves to the local community.
He made the call after a pipe bomb was thrown into a car parked at Meenaleck Walk just before midnight on Wednesday.
Ten homes in the area were evacuated as British army bomb disposal experts examined the scene. Condemning the incident, Colr. Hassan also said that death threats have been made against four local men.
“It’s absolutely ridiculous that these attacks are taking place in this day and age, people don’t want this nor do they want whoever is carrying out these attacks attacking in their name. Whoever is behind these death threats need to explain why this is taking place,” he said.
The incident comes after a pipe bomb was left at a carwash on the Racecourse Road last week.