East Derry MP Gregory Campbell has rejected fresh calls for soldiers to face prosecutions over the murder of 14 civil rights marchers on Bloody Sunday, insisting that such measures will also renew calls for the past actions of Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness to be investigated.
Speaking earlier this week, the DUP MP questioned how relatives could pursue prosecutions against the soldiers involved.
“Whatever guise and whatever they did in terms of over-reacting, if they did so, they were there to uphold the law,” Mr Campbell said.
“For there to be no similar prosecutions or attempted prosecutions of people like the Deputy First Minister, who was there to fundamentally break it, and was part of an organisation whose very existence was to repetitively break the law and murder people on a regular basis, would be wrong.”
This week, a spokesman for Madden and Finucane Solicitors revealed that they had “submitted detailed representations to the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) requesting that those responsible for the murders and attempted murders on Bloody Sunday be prosecuted in court.”
After the Saville Report found the actions of the soldiers to be “unjustified and unjustifiable”, British prime minister David Cameron issued a public apology.
Mr Campbell added: “Those of us who made the point for years, and had strong reservations at the very start before the costings of the Saville Inquiry had started to mount up, made the point that if, at the end of it, there was some form of closure for families in terms of the final outcome being satisfactory regarding a redressing of the Widgery Inquiry, that even in those circumstances there would still be those who would say ‘this is not enough — it is further action we want in terms of prosecutions of people responsible’.
“I, and others, said there would not be closure and this is the proof that there isn’t closure.”
On Sunday past, almost 30,000 people took part in what was described as the last march to commemorate the 1972 Bogside massacre.