A boy aged five could have died after he discovered suspected drugs hidden in a chocolate egg, a Limavady councillor has said.
DUP councillor Alan Robinson said the boy was playing with his eight-year-old brother when he found the egg, in a hedge in the Edenmore Road.
The children opened it and discovered a bag of white powder and then gave it to their father.
DUP councillor Alan Robinson is warning parents in the town to be vigilant.
“When the child opened the plastic section, hidden within was a small sealed plastic bag containing a white powder. Having passed the contents to the police the family have told me that they have informed them that it contained an illegal drug,” said Colr. Robinson.
“By the grace of God the item was passed to the children’s father who alerted the police,” said Colr. Robinson, who commended the children for passing the contents to their parents.
“This weekend the Limavady community could have been learning about a tragedy and I, therefore, make a community appeal asking for vigilance. Our children are precious and they should not be exposed to such danger.”