Confectionery giant Nestlé have apologised to a Derry family after a pair of grubby factory gloves were found in a bumper tube of Smarties.
Glenn McIntyre bought three festive tubes of Smarties in Tesco, for his sons to open with their stockings on Christmas morning.
However one the boys got an extra, unwelcome surprise when he found the manky gloves stuffed inside the top-selling sweets brand.
Glenn previously told the ‘Journal’ he had been “disgusted” by the discovery.
“My wee boy thought at first we had stuffed them in there but of course we hadn’t.
“The tube had been sealed and we were really shocked to find the gloves.
“They were really manky - with rubber palms - the kind of heavy duty gloves you would expect a workman to wear,” he said.
He sent the item to Nestlé for investigation - and this week the company came back admitting that the gloves were “similar to those used” within their packing area.
Nestlé said they were “very sorry”. In a letter to Mr McIntyre, a company spokesperson said: “We are at something of a loss to explain how this incident has occurred, particularly in view of our continuous quality control checks.”
The company sent the McIntyre family a cheque for £200 - saying they hoped the money would “go some way towards making up for what has happened.”