Council back gas campaign

0
Have your say

Derry City Council is supporting NI’s first Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month by helping to raise awareness of this highly poisonous gas.

Barry Doherty, senior Environmental Health Officer with Derry City Council said Council wished to assist in any way to protect the public from this potentially dangerous gas.

He said: “Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no smell, colour or taste. It can be released by any appliance that burns oil, solid fuel, wood or gas, including boilers, if they are not properly installed and maintained.

“The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often difficult to diagnose as it mimics the symptoms of other common illnesses such as flu and headaches.

“Everyone should be aware of its dangers and know what measures to take to protect themselves and others. Among the symptoms that can be experienced are headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness collapse or loss of consciousness.”

Further information can be obtained by logging onto the Council website at http://www.derrycity.gov.uk/BuildingControl/CarbonMonoxide or speak to the Environmental Health Department on 028 71 365151.