A Lifford couple who had been planning to go to Egypt on their honeymoon have said they no longer want to travel because of the volatile situation in the country.
Grainne McBrearty said she and her husband are due to fly out to the Egyptian resort of Sharm el-Sheikh on Tuesday but are now cancelling their plans because of the ongoing crisis.
However, Mrs McBrearty said when she contacted the tour operator she booked the holiday with, Thomas Cook, she was told she could not cancel the trip.
The Lifford woman said; “After watching the crisis in Egypt on the news and listening to the Foreign Office advice, we are now afraid to go but when I rang up to talk to the operator I was told that it is safe.
“They did acknowledge that we may have to stay indoors because of a curfew and the woman I spoke to accepted that wouldn’t be much of a holiday but that there is nothing they could do. This was supposed to be our honeymoon but it won’t be much of a holiday if we have to stay inside.”
Mrs McBreaty said she is not looking for a refund but for the trip to be rescheduled. “It isn’t about the money. We have paid for it and we want to go on honeymoon but we feel it isn’t safe to go to Egypt right now. We wanted to get it rebooked for somewhere else using the money but were told it wasn’t possible. Now it looks like we are going to lose out completely,” she said.
The British government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office reported yesterday that Sharm el Sheikh “remains calm” but urged tourists to “stay indoors where possible.”
Thomas Cook had not responded to the ‘Journal’s’ by the time of going to press.