Two women who assaulted a patient in the Intensive Care Unit have received a suspended sentence.
Bridget Patricia Mongan, (23), of Stanley’s Walk and 29-year-old Eileen Selina Stokes, with an address in Newtownstewart, pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour in Altnagelvin Hospital on January 4.
They further admitted assaulting their brother and partner respectively and assaulting medical staff in the ICU.
The injured party was put in an induced coma after receiving serious head injuries.
Stokes and Mongan hit and pulled at him as he lay in his hospital bed and pulled at drips.
His condition became unstable as a result.
The women then assaulted hospital staff who attempted to restrain them and get them away from the patient.
Mongan received a four month sentence suspended for three years and Stokes had a three month sentence suspended for two years.
District Judge Barney McElholm said the medical staff should be commended for acting ‘promptly and effectively’ to protect their patient.
However, he added that the nurses and doctors should ‘never have been put in that position. The hospital is a place of sanctuary and all of us in the community should behave properly and let medical staff get on with their jobs supporting family members and friends who are ill or injured’.
He told Mongan and Stokes their behaviour was ‘completely and utterly disgraceful’ and they ‘should be ashamed of yourselves’.
The judge said he had to take the time the defendants had already spent on remand into account and the fact the maximum sentence he could impose was six months.
He said he was imposing suspended sentences to ‘emphasize the communities displeasure at your conduct’.