A 30-year-old man accused of breaking a man’s jaw with a pool cue handed himself into police after his photo was published in the local media, a court has heard.
Sean Farrelly, of Cuthbert Street, Waterside is charged with causing grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon.
The charges relate to an alleged incident in the Ritz Bar, Spencer Road on January 30, last year.
An investigating officer told Derry Magistrate’s Court he believed he could connect Farrelly to the charges and said police would oppose bail.
The court heard that the alleged injured party was with the 30-year-old in the bar when “words were exchanged” between them.
It was claimed Farrelly picked up a pool que and struck the alleged victim twice on the side of his head and he sustained two fractures to his jaw.
The officer said police made numerous enquiries to track down Farrelly, including checking addresses linked to him and talking to the 30-year-old’s family.
He revealed that the defendant’s photo was recently published in the local media and he then made arrangements to attend the police station.
During police interview, Farrelly claimed he had drunk a lot of alcohol on the night of the alleged incident and had “no recollection of the assault”.
However, the 30-year-old did not dispute the allegations.
Opposing bail, the officer said police believed Farrelly had been “actively evading” them and there was a risk he would abscond.
Defence counsel Eoghan Devlin said his client had spent a “considerable amount of time” in Buncrana over the last few weeks, after the death of a close friend. He told the court that since the date of the alleged incident Farrelly had been living a fairly transient lifestyle, but has strong ties in the city including his family, partner and three young children.
He added that the court could risk granting his client bail with “onerous conditions”.
Granting bail, District Judge Barney McElholm warned Farrelly if there was any breach of the conditions he would be remanded in custody.
The 30-year-old was released on his own bail of £1,000, a cash surety of £5,000 and ordered to abide by a curfew. He was also electronically tagged, banned from consuming alcohol or contacting the alleged injured party and ordered to sign bail every day at the local police station.
Farrelly will appear in court again on July 5.