Accused of threatening to harm woman

editorial image
0
Have your say

A man is to stand trial accused of threatening to harm a woman who assisted in a child sex abuse investigation.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is further charged with threatening to damage the woman’s home on July 2, last year.

Derry Magistrates Court heard the 41-year-old is currently serving a jail sentence for indecent assault.

Defence solicitor Seamus Quigley revealed his client stood trial accused of historical sexual abuse allegations last year.

He was acquitted of two rapes but found guilty by a Derry Crown Court jury of two indecent assaults on a female child.

Mr Quigley told the court the man had appealed his conviction and it was dismissed, however he said the case may go back to the court of appeal.

The defendant declined to say anything in answer to the charges of making threats or to call any evidence.

Mr Quigley conceded there was a prima facie case for his client to anwer.

The 41-year-old was remanded in custody and will appear at the crown court for arraignment later this month.