Gardai have called for vigilance following the latest suspected arson attack at a house at Elaghbeg, Burnfoot. In the latest incident, a two storey home was razed to the ground on Friday night. No one was injured.
In the wake of a series of similar attacks around the greater Buncrana area over the past ten days Gardai have confirmed they are treating the blaze as suspicious.
It is believed the house, like others targeted, was derelict.
Inishowen TD, Charlie McConalogue, described the attacks as “senseless and reckless” and called on anyone with any information to contact Gardai immediately. “We haven’t seen this type of behaviour before and it is certainly worrying,” he added.
Two fire appliances from Derry were tasked to the blaze at Elaghbeg at 10.30pm on Friday. Gardai maintained a presence at the fire all weekend in order to preserve any possible evidence for ‘scenes of crime’ investigators. It is understood the fire then reignited at 5am on Saturday morning.
Gardai sources confirmed that they had also became aware of two other attempted suspected arson attacks on Saturday night.
While not giving details a spokesman said, “We are talking about attempts to ignite premises.”
It is believed that both these premises are on Inch Island.
Inch has already suffered two other suspect fires recently. Last week farm equipment worth thousands of euro was destroyed while in May a derelict isolated house was burnt to the ground..
The Donegal Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that in the last week they responded to five other call outs, all of which are being treated as ‘suspected arson.’
Yesterday, Inspector David Murphy said; “We would urge property owners to ensure their premises are properly secured, especially vacant properties and we would also urge the public to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity to Buncrana Gardai immediately.”
Last week Superintendent, Kevin English, said he was concerned there would be a fatality.