A judge has refused bail to two men accused of an attempted bomb attack on a local hotel last year.
Darren Poleon (41) and 34-year-old Brian Walsh, both with addresses in County Meath, are charged with the preparation of a terrorist act and possession of explosives with intent to endanger life.
They are further charged with conspiracy to cause an explosion on October 6 last.
The charges relate to an alleged incident prior to a police recruitment event in the Waterfoot Hotel.
Concerns had been raised by the defence for both men about delay in the case. An investigating officer told the court a statement about the forensics was still outstanding but was expected ‘imminently’.
He revealed the forensic report contained allegations that Poleon’s DNA was found on the device found at the Waterfoot Hotel. The DNA of both defendants was allegedly found on a walkie talkie found inside a car allegedly used by the men.
During interview, Poleon claimed the walkie talkie belonged to his children. However, the investigating officer said it was a ‘sophisticated piece of equipment’.
The court also heard details about the explosive device which is allegedly the same as one found in Palace Barracks.
It is alleged the device is similar to a large pipe bomb and had a fire extinguisher inside.
The officer said the fire extinguisher would become shrapnel as it was blown apart and had the potential to kill.
Opposing bail, the officer said police have concerns that the proposed bail addresses are in the Republic of Ireland and there is no way to enforce bail conditions.
District Judge Barney McElholm refused the applications, stating: ‘I am not granting bail to an address outside this jurisdiction’ because there are ‘no reciprocal arrangements with Gardai about the enforcement of bail conditions.
Both men were remanded in custody until next month.