The fire at a block of flats in Gartan Square last night was deliberate, the Fire & Rescue Service has said.
A Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service spokesperson said today that they were called to the scene at 5.38pm to a report of a fire at a bin store in the Gartan Square area of the city yesterday evening.
A number of residents, some with young children, living in Gartan Square in the Bogside had to be evacuated during the blaze.
The fire was started in a bin shed adjacent to the end flat and main stairway from the complex.
A spokesman said: “Three Fire Appliances from Northland Fire Station were deployed to the scene.
“Firefighters using breathing apparatus, one hose reel jet and thermal imagining cameras dealt with a fire on the second floor of a bin store in the area.
“Heat damage was caused to a flat nearby, but no one is believed to have been injured.
“Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service finished at 6:28pm and the fire is being treated as deliberate.”
Sinn Féin Councillor Colly Kelly meanwhile has announced plans to convene a multi-agency meeting to tackle anti-social behaviour in the Gartan Square area of the Bogside following the fire.
Councillor Kelly said: “The residents living in the top row of the flats had a very lucky escape tonight. “This fire was started in the shed at the end of the row which houses the bins for local residents. Flames engulfed the stairway and smoke entered a number of homes.
“I would like to commend those who raised the alarm and ultimately have saved lives here.”
Mr Kelly said he attended the scene with a representative of Community Restorative Justice to help residents in whatever way they could.
“Residents are very angry and still in shock,” he said.
“We have been trying to address a number problems of anti-community activity in and around the area over the past few weeks.
“I will be hosting a multi-agency meeting along with residents as a matter of urgency.
“Anyone who has information in relation to this incident should bring it forward to the PSNI straight away.”