Hijack victim was run over by his own car - court told

Have your say

The victim of an alleged hijacking was run over by his own car, a court has heard.

Rachel McGranaghan, (23), 24-year-old Daryl O’Hagan, both of Cuthbert Street, and 29-year-old Remy Daniel Moore, of Carlisle Road, are jointly charged with hijacking a Peugeot car.

They are further charged with causing grievous bodily harm, robbery and aggravated vehicle taking causing damage.

McGranaghan is also accused of possessing cannabis and diazepam, while O’Hagan and Moore face a number of driving offences.

All the charges relate to an alleged incident in the Fountain Hill area of the Waterside in the early hours of Monday morning.

All three accused appeared separately in the dock this morning.

Derry Magistrates Court heard allegations that two men stepped out in front of the man’s car, blocking his path.

A third man allegedly approached the car, dragged the man from it and threw him to the ground.

During the alleged incident someone shouted ‘get him, take his money and tie him up’.

The court also heard claims the man was assaulted with both fists and feet and has sustained injuries ‘which looks like he was actually run over by his own car’.

The car was taken and crashed into a wall on the Limavady Road and a number of people were seen running away from it.

The court was told O’Hagan was arrested a short distance away from the collision and his reply after caution was ‘I don’t give a f***. All we did was jump in the back seat, how is that hijacking?’

During police interview the 24-year-old claimed he was not involved in the hijacking but admitted he was a passenger in the car after it had been stolen.

An investigating officer told the court the alleged injured party reported that one of his attackers wore a distinctive arm sling. He claimed that O’Hagan was wearing an arm sling at the time of his arrest.

Turning to Moore, the investigating officer told the court he had been identified by name by the alleged injured party.

Police opposed bail for O’Hagan and Moore for fear of further offences and fear of interference with witnesses.

However, police did not object to McGranaghan being released on bail. She wept throughout her brief appearance in court.

The 23-year-old was released on her own bail of £500, with one surety of £1,000 to live with her father in Bracken Park.

She was banned from having any contact with the alleged injured party or any of her co-accused.

McGranaghan was also banned from consuming or possessing alcohol or non-prescribed drugs, ordered to abide by a curfew and to sign bail three times per week.

Deputy District Judge Oonagh Mullan refused bail for O’Hagan and Moore and remanded them in custody.

All three defendants will appear in court again on September 11.