Limavady woman bit police officer, jailed

A woman who bit a police officer as she was being arrested has been jailed for eight months.

Rachel Morrow, of Rathbeg Crescent, Limavady, pleaded guilty to criminal damage, disorderly behaviour and assaulting and resisting police.

She also admitted possessing mephedrone.

The charges relate to an incident in the early hours of January 19 outside a nightclub in the town.

Derry Magistrates Court heard that police were on patrol outside Sweet nightclub and spoke to Morrow’s boyfriend as they left the club.

The 26-year-old became very aggressive and abusive, shouting ‘you are all dirty b*******’ at the officers.

She took her shoes off and jumped on the bonnet of a BMW car parked nearby and began hitting the window with the heel of her stiletto shoe. The windscreen was then smashed by her.

The court was told Morrow continued to be abusive and aggressive and she attempted to hit a police officer in the face with the heel of her shoe.

A struggle ensued between Morrow and police as they tried to arrest her and damage was caused to another car.

Morrow resisted arrest and attempted to headbutt and spit at anyone who came near her. It was revealed she bit an officer on the finger when she was finally arrested.

The 26-year-old was searched and a bag of white powder was found in her bra.

During interview, she admitted the white powder was mephedrone for her own use. Morrow said she couldn’t remember what else had happened because of the amount of alcohol she had consumed.

Seamus Quigley, defending, told the court the incident was fuelled by alcohol and is the ‘typical’ kind of behaviour that leads to the 26-year-old coming before the court.

He added that in sobriety Morrow apologised to police and ‘deeply regrets’ her behaviour.

Mr Quigley revealed his client was in breach of two suspended sentences, which were imposed less than a fortnight ago. However, he urged the court to give credit to Morrow for her guilty pleas.

District Judge Barney McElholm jailed the 26-year-old for a total of eight months and imposed an offender levy of £25.