Made persistent calls to ex -Derry court told

.
.

A man accused of harassing his ex-girlfriend has been refused bail at the local Magistrate’s Court.

Shaun Loughrey, of Balbane Pass, is charged with harassment, burglary with intent to cause damage and common assault.

The offences allegedly occurred between June 30 and August 8 this year.

Derry Magistrate’s Court heard the 24-year-old had broken up with his girlfriend at Easter and since then allegedly made “persistent, unwanted” phone calls and sent text messages to her.

He was arrested for harassment and was released on police bail.

However, the court heard allegations Loughrey breached this bail by going to the woman’s house, climbing into her back garden, saying he loved her.

The 24-year-old allegedly forced entry to her home and there was a struggle over her phone as she tried to contact police.

He was arrested again and this time released on court bail. The court heard claims he went back to the woman’s house the following day and began throwing stones at a bedroom window to try and get into the property.

Loughrey was arrested again for breach of bail.

Opposing the bail application, an investigating officer told the court the proposed bail address was in County Donegal. She said police objected to that address because it was outside the jurisdiction and there were fears the 24-year-old, who has no criminal record, would re-offend.

Defence solicitor Michael McGee said the proposed bail address was with the home of the defendant’s aunt.

He said that because his client had no experience of the criminal justice system he “didn’t realise there were repercussions for his actions” when he breached bail conditions.

The solicitor urged the court to release the 24-year-old on bail with stringent conditions including a ban on entering the city and possessing a mobile phone.

Deputy District Judge Austin Kennedy refused bail because of the risk of reoffending.

He said Loughrey had “breached police bail, breached court bail and added: “I would be concerned if he were released he would do the same again”.

The 24-year-old was remanded in custody and will appear in court again, via videolink, on October 17.