Man accused of abducting teenage girl released on bail

Man released on bail
Man released on bail
0
Have your say

A man accused of abducting a teenage girl from a children’s home has been released on bail.

The 27-year-old, who cannot be named to protect the identity of the alleged injured party, faces one charge of child abduction on March 2.

Derry Magistrates Court heard allegations a 14-year-old girl went missing from a children’s home on this date.

It is alleged police searched for her and she was found in bed with the 27-year-old, naked from the waist down.

The defendant was interviewed by officers and denied all knowledge of the girl being in bed with him.

However, an investigating officer claimed forensic evidence has ‘established an intimate connection between the two’.

The court also heard allegations that mobile phones had been examined and they showed contact between the defendant and the teenage girl in the days before she went missing, something which he had denied.

Opposing bail, an investigating officer said the 27-year-old had breached bail in the past.

She also told the court police have concerns about the proposed bail address, which is in ‘close proximity’ to the children’s home.

Defence solicitor Paddy MacDermott said the alleged injured party has ‘refused to co-operate with the police investigation’ and there is no reason for his client to interfere with her.

He added that the 27-year-old has been in custody since March without any real progress in the case.

The 27-year-old was released on his own bail of £1,000, ordered to abide by a curfew and be electronically tagged. He is also banned from contacting the alleged injured party, banned from going within two miles of her home and banned from having contact with any children unless they are accompanied by an adult aged 25 or over.

The defendant will appear in court again next month.