A man accused of assualting his wife as she slept in her bed has been banned from “stepping foot” on any of the city’s three bridges as part of his bail conditions.
Peter McIntyre, of Spencer Road, is charged with burglary with intent to inflict grievous bodily harm, assault occasioning actual bodily harm and criminal damage.
He is also accused of theft, making a threat to kill and a threat to damage property on July 21.
The 31-year-old is further charged with assault, criminal damage and theft relating to an alleged incident on April 26.
A previous court hearing was told McIntyre allegedly put his hands around his wife’s throat during the incident and smashed her phone against the wall.
The alleged injured party further claims she was subjected to a second “vicious assault” by her husband where he punched, headbutted and choked her.
Yesterday, an investigating officer opposed bail in spite of an address being availble in the cityside area of Derry.
She said police have “grave concerns” for the safety of the alleged injured party, as 29 domestic incidents involving the couple had been reported to police since November last year.
The officer revealed McIntyre has 43 previous convictions, including convictions for violent offences, and police fear he would commit further offences of a domestic nature if released on bail.
The officer told the court the proposed address in Ferguson Street was also objected to as it was a “20 minute stroll” from the alleged injured party’s address in the Waterside.
She added police believe McIntyre will put the woman “in fear to get her to withdraw her complaint”.
Defence solicitor Paddy MacDermott said the marriage is “very damaging” to both his client and the alleged injured party.
He said both have made complaints to police of a domestic nature and it is a “two-way street”.
Mr MacDermott told the court both of them abuse alcohol and “that is a major part of the problem”.
He urged the judge to grant bail with stringent conditions and said his client wouldn’t have to “enter the Waterside for any reason whatsoever”.
The judge agreed to grant bail “somewhat reluctantly and with great reservation”.
He banned the 31-year-old from “setting foot” on the city’s bridges, from entering the Waterside and from contacting the alleged injured party.
McIntyre will appear in court again on September 6.