Man charged with attempting to choke woman released on bail

Court
Court
0
Have your say

A man has appeared in court charged with ABH, attempting to choke, strangle or suffocate a woman, and having an offensive weapon in a public place.

Stephen Coyle of Duddy’s Court appeared in court on Friday in relation to charges which allegedly occurred on January 6.

During the hearing Coyle (26), spoke only to say he understood the charges against him.

A representative from the Public Prosecution Service told the court police received a call from the defendant’s mother on January 6 after the defendant’s ex-partner had come to her home address to say she had been assaulted.

Police went to the house and Coyle’s ex-partner told officers she had gone to the defendant’s home to talk to him regarding his responsibility towards their children.

The woman said Coyle had pushed her down the stairs and bit her on the nose and finger.

On January 7 police were made aware of Coyle’s whereabouts when he was allegedly seen in a public place with an iron bar. He was arrested for the offences but denied any knowledge of the woman’s injuries and denied having a weapon in a public place.

The court was told that Coyle’s partner, the alleged victim, did wish to proceed with the charges.

Police objected to bail on the grounds that Coyle could interfere with the alleged victim.

“There are children involved in this relationship and there is an alleged domestic history,” a police officer said.

The court was told the pair had had a ten year relationship and previously were getting along fine.

His former partner was anxious that Coyle would not get away with what he had done but didn’t want it to affect him seeing their children.

Solicitor Paddy MacDermott asked the court to consider bail with restrictions considering his client lived in the Waterside and his ex-partner in the Glen.

Turning to the alleged injured party the District Judge Barney McElholm said that in cases such as this it was not automatic that the person would go to prison.

“If someone is responsible for this type of behaviour they should not get away with it,” he said. “However there are offender programmes.

“There are some very good programmes by Probation Services to help stop people with this type of behaviour, but to get on them they have to admit they did it in the first place.”

“In this case I will give him a chance.”

Coyle’s ex-partner asked the court not to enforce any conditions that would stop him seeing his children.

Coyle was released on his own bail of £750 to live in Duddy’s Court.

He is not to enter the city side except to attend scheduled court appointments. Coyle must abide by a curfew from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and abstain from alcohol or drugs. He is due to appear again in court on February 4.