Man cleared of threatening to kill doctor

editorial image

A man who assaulted two nurses in Altnagelvin Hospital has been cleared of making a threat to kill a doctor.

Paul Gerald Martin Cullen, of Drumleck Gardens, pleaded guilty to two charges of common assault and disorderly behaviour.

The charges relate to an incident in Altnagelvin Hospital on November 8, last year.

However, the 35-year-old had denied making a threat to kill a doctor.

The court heard the evidence in the case is that Cullen had vomited and urinated on himself in the hospital, and at one stage fell on the ground.

A nurse treating him believed he had broken his nose as a result.

Defence counsel Stephen Chapman said his client was in such an intoxicated state that he may not have been capable to form the intent required to make a threat to kill.

He added it is clear from the evidence the doctor did not believe the threat was ‘real’.

A prosecutor said a drunken intent is still an intent. She said it was a ‘sustained incident’ and Cullen engaged in ‘threatening behaviour for a number of hours’.

District Judge Barney McElholm said the question for the court is ‘whether there is any intent at all or if he was just spewing bile at all those helping him’.

He said he was ‘not satisfied there was any clear intent’ in the threat and dismissed the charge.

Sentencing was adjourned in relation to the assaults and disorderly behaviour for a probation pre-sentence report.

Cullen will appear in court again on March 27.