A judge has said the murder of 24-year-old Gerard Quinn is a ‘complete tragedy for all involved’.
District Judge Barney McElholm made the comment as a 16-year-old boy appeared in court charged with murder.
The judge also expressed the courts condolences to Mr Quinn’s family.
The teenager is charged with the murder of Gerard Quinn on May 22.
He is further charged with attempted grievous bodily harm with intent on Mr Quinn’s twin brother Michael on May 21.
Derry Magistrates Court heard that police received a report of a stabbing on Tollymore Road shortly before 10:30pm.
The injured party had been stabbed in the throat and he was on the ground receiving first aid from members of public.
The court heard he was not breathing and there was ‘lot of blood’.
Mr Quinn was taken to hospital and underwent surgery for his injury .
However, he died at 4:20am the following morning.
The court heard the preliminary findings from a post mortem report found that the cause of death was a stab wound to Mr Quinn’s neck caused by broken glass.
This would have caused immediate bleeding which the victim could not have stopped.
Mr Quinn’s twin brother also allegedly sustained injuries.
The teenager attended the police station voluntarily after midnight.
During police interview he admitted striking two males.
An investigating officer confirmed that the teen was in a house which Mr Quinn and his brother attended on May 21.
She also confirmed there was a ‘melee involving the deceased, his brother and another 16-year-old’.
The officer also confirmed that the defendant had ‘raised self defence of himself and others’ during the course of interview.
Defence counsel Paul Foster told the court there was no application for bail at this stage.
He added that the defendants family wished to express their ‘sincere condolences to the Quinn family’ and said it was ‘a tragedy for that family and their own’.
The barrister said the teenagers family also ask ‘that at this particular time no repercussions are taken’.
The teen was remanded in custody to appear in court again via videolink on June 7.