The victim of a tragic house fire in Derry yesterday has been named locally.
While the property at De Burgh Square remains sealed off this morning, the man who lost his life in the fire is believed to be Colm Doherty, a 27-years-old Derry man who had lived in the property for some time.
At this stage, the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service say all indications are that the fire started accidentally.
The alarm was raised just after 11am when neighbours noticed smoke coming from the house.
The emergency services were alerted immediately and fire appliances from Northland and Crescent Link stations attended the scene.
Mr. Doherty was found on the ground floor of the property and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Local representatives have expressed their condolences to the family of the local resident.
SDLP Foyle Westminster candidate Mark Durkan said: “This news comes with a great sense of shock not only to immediate neighbours but to the entire community. My initial thoughts are for the bereaved family of this young man to whom I send my deepest sympathies and sincere condolences at this very distressing time.
“It is a terrible tragedy for someone so young to have died in these circumstances.”
Sinn Fein Councillor Mickey Cooper who was at the scene of the tragedy yesterday said the thoughts of everyone locally were with the family of the man who died.