Derry shooting blamed on ‘barbaric gun toting thugs’

DJ News

DJ News

0
Have your say

A teenager is recovering after being shot in the Ballymagroarty area of Derry.

Chief Inspector Tony Callaghan said, “Police received a report that a 17 year old male youth had been shot in both legs at around 11.15pm on Monday night (September 15). The shooting is believed to have taken place at a green area to the rear of flats in the O’Riada Court area.

“The youth was taken to hospital by a family member where he received treatment for non life threatening injuries. Two men wearing dark clothing were reported to have been involved in this incident and we are appealing for anyone who was in the area and who may have noticed any suspicious activity to contact CID at Strand Road on the non emergency number 101. Information can also be passed anonymously through the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

The shooting was condemned as “barbaric” by SDLP councillor, John Boyle.

“This was a barbaric attack, and it serves no purpose,” said Cllr Boyle. “The gun-toting thugs responsible for this shooting need to realise there is absolutely no justification for this type of attack, and that there is no support in the community for it.

“I am appealing to anyone who knows anything about what happened to contact police.”

Although no-one has claimed responsibility for the attack, dissident republicans have previously been blamed for a number of incidents across Derry.