The detective leading the murder investigation into the events of Bloody Sunday has said the response to the PSNI’s appeal for witnesses to come forward has been “disappointing”.
The PSNI made a fresh appeal for witnesses to the British Army massacre to come forward last month on the 42nd anniversary of the Bogside killings.
Detectives had hoped to re-interview any former soldiers and civilians who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry or who may have information about the events of 30 January 1972 in which 13 people died and a similar number were injured.
The officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison, said the response to the appeal has been limited to date. “The response to our original appeal for witnesses to talk to us has been disappointing. If we are to make progress, we need witness statements,” he said.
The detective also said police will be stepping up their efforts to encourage people to come forward. “We are renewing our appeal and placing additional advertising to increase awareness of what we’re working to achieve. The adverts asking people to come forward will be in local newspapers and on billboards in Derry.
“We need people to work with us. If people don’t come forward, it will further delay this lengthy and complicated process.”
Civilians and former soldiers are asked to contact the investigation team on 028 9025 9593 or by email to BloodySundayEnquiry@psni.pnn.police.uk