Dog owner warns of broken glass dangers

A Waterside dog owner is warning parents about the dangers of broken glass after her pet sustained a deep cut while out walking
A Waterside dog owner is warning parents about the dangers of broken glass after her pet sustained a deep cut while out walking
1
Have your say

This is the horrific injury to a family pet that one Waterside dog owner says should serve as a warning about the dangers of broken glass.

The Currynierin resident, who wishes to remain anonymous, says her four year-old schnauzer, sustained the injury while out walking in the park in the estate on July 12.

“I let her off her lead for a few minutes and she rolled around in the grass for a while. But it was only when I got her home that I realised something was wrong.

“She was very depressed and wouldn’t let me touch her, and there was a foul smell coming from her. It was only then that we noticed she had been cut very badly.”

The resident says she is grateful to a neighbour who administered first aid and to Campbell’s vet who have since tended to the dog.

She says the pet is since starting to recover. But she says there is an even worse accident waiting to happen unless the issue of broken glass is properly addressed.

“I hope this picture lets parents see what can happen. Imagine if instead of a dog we were looking at an injury like this to some poor child.

“Parents really need to watch their children.

“In the park at Currynierin there is broken glass everywhere, even on the slides. But it’s not just Currynierin, this problem is everywhere.

“Something has to be done. Most of the broken glass around the park is caused by young people using it to drink.

“The antisocial behaviour has to stop now,” she says.