Dungiven mum takes legal action over sports complex decision

Donna O'Connor and son, Ryan.
Donna O'Connor and son, Ryan.
0
Have your say

A Dungiven woman is taking legal action following a decision by some councillors on Causeway Coast & Glens Borough not to proceed with plans for a multi-million pound sports complex for the area.

Donna O’Connor’s 21-year-old son, Ryan, lost both his legs following complications from a heart transplant in 2012.

This is a fight for me as a parent, yes, but it’s also a fight for the community

Donna O’Connor

Donna said Ryan cannot use the current sports faciliies in Dungiven.

“Ryan can’t even open the double doors of the Sports Pavilion without assistance, and that shouldn’t be happening in this day and age,” said Donna.

“We believed this project was going ahead, and Ryan was even asked for his input into the project. This is a fight for me as a parent, yes, but it’s also a fight for the community and to make Causeway Coast & Glens Borough Council realise what their duties are.”

Sports clubs are also taking action.

GAA All Star, Kieran McKeever, said local clubs find the rejection of some £2.84 million funding from DCAL and the Landfill Community Fund for “new and much needed sporting facilities in the Dungiven area” as “incredulous” and “they want answers”.

The clubs have organised a vigil outside the Sports Pavilion at 11am tomorrow, Wednesday.

In another move, Sinn Fein councillor Sean McGlinchey said his party on Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council are challenging the vote taken last week regarding the sports project.

Colr.McGlinchey said Sinn Fein councillors on the Council are using what is known as the ‘call-in’ procedure. The ‘call-in’ was submitted to Causeway Council on Tuesday.