Frazer considers ‘Sunday’ march

Loyalist victims campaigner Willie Frazer pictured in the Bogside in 2007. (1001MM07)

Loyalist victims campaigner Willie Frazer pictured in the Bogside in 2007. (1001MM07)

0
Have your say

Controversial loyalist victims campaigner Willie Frazer has said he is considering coming to Derry for the ‘March for Justice’ Bloody Sunday commemoration at the end of the month.

The event is being organised by several relatives of those killed in the 1972 massacre, as well as a number of those who were wounded, to mark the 40th anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

Several civil rights veterans are also involved in the organisation of the march, which is set for Sunday, January 29th.

The organisers have said the march will follow the traditional route from the Creggan Shops to the Bogside.

The majority of the Bloody Sunday families have said they are not planning to attend the march and said that the march held in the city in January 2011 should be the final commemoration march following the publication of the Saville report in June 2010 and the subsequent apology from British prime minister, David Cameron.

Representatives of the group set up to organise the march had previously said they want to see the commemoration extended to accommodate victims of other atrocities from the Troubles, such as the Kingsmills massacre, which was carried out by republicans.

The group held a meeting in Pilot’s Row community centre on Friday evening to finalise plans for the march.

Mr Frazer, founder of the victims group, Families Acting for Innocent Relatives (FAIR) said that he would consider attending the commemoration march.

“At this stage I would not rule it out,” Mr Frazer said.

“I would not be against it. But there would need to be a discussion on it. I don’t disagree with what they are doing,” he explained.

Mr Frazer added that he is not opposed to the march but said that he has concerns about the objectives of those involved.

“I would not be against it but I would need to see what outcome they are looking for. There is a feeling in our community that there has been £200 million spent on it.”

The controversial campaigner previously came to the Bogside in September 2007 to stage a protest outside the home of Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness. Mr Frazer claimed the Sinn Féin leader had refused an invitation to meet him and wanted to confront him at his home. Mr McGuinness was not at home at the time of the protest.

Mr Frazer also stood as an independent candidate in the Foyle constituency in the 2007 Assembly elections but finished bottom of the poll on 72 votes.