GAS SCARE

0
Have your say

A Dungiven woman says she and her father are “very lucky” after they fell ill due to the effects of suspected gas exposure at their home on Sunday.

Fire crews from Dungiven and Crescent Link in Derry, and the Ambulance Service, attended the house at Mountainview Park in Dungiven just after 4pm.

A spokesperson from the Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service said; “Fire crews attended a suspected carbon monoxide incident at a house. They assisted two people - a male in his 80’s and female in her 40’s - from the property and both were treated by ambulance personnel before being taken to hospital.

“Fire Personnel wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and used gas monitors to monitor the air in the house, but all readings were zero. No source of carbon monoxide could be confirmed, but the suspected source, a gas heater, had been removed from the house by a neighbour prior to the arrival of fire crews. The neighbour had also ventilated the property.”

The woman, who preferred not to be named, told the ‘Journal’ she had phoned the emergency out of hours service RoeDoc as her dad had been feeling ill.

“I was concerned about dad’s condition and then I realised I was getting sick,” she explained.

The woman said RoeDoc contacted the emergency services who were on scene quickly.

“At that point we were in the first stage of feeling the symptons so if we had been exposed to it any longer . . . well we are very lucky,” she said.

The woman said the incident is a reminder to everyone to “err on the side of caution when using gas indoors”.

“The room was ventilated but it does serve as a warning,” she said, adding: “We are very thankful and very grateful to the Fire Service, the PSNI and the Ambulance Service, who all dealt with the matter so efficiently.”