A compelling new study demolishes once-and-for-all claims that a teenager murdered on Bloody Sunday was carrying nail bombs when he was shot.
Gerald Donaghey (pictured) was aged just 17 when he was gunned down in the Bogside on January 30, 1972.
The Bloody Sunday Inquiry, which published its official report two years ago today, found that he was “probably” in possession of nail-bombs when he was shot - a finding which continues to anger the Donaghey family.
However, this morning at the City Hotel in Derry, a new report which brands Lord Saville’s finding as “fundamentally flawed” will be officially launched by the Mayor of Derry Kevin Campbell.
The new study includes a detailed analysis of Lord Saville’s controversial finding and concludes that the nail bombs must have been planted on the teenager by the security forces.
The report - which is available in booklet form - also includes a moving contribution from Mr. Donaghey’s niece, Geraldine Doherty, in which she vows to continue the campaign to clear her uncle’s name.
Conal McFeely, chair of the Bloody Sunday Trust, says the new report aims to “remove the stain which has hung over Gerald Donaghey’s reputation for forty years”.
He told the ‘Journal’: “Hopefully it will set the truth - the whole truth - free, once and for all.”
Mr. McFeely says that, given the volume of evidence to the contrary, it “beggars belief” that Lord Saville could conclude that Gerald Donaghey “probably” had four nail bombs in his pockets when he was shot dead.
He adds: “Surely, on the basis of all the evidence, the other possibility - which Saville allowed for but quickly discounted - was the more likely: that the nail bombs had been planted on Gerald after he died.”
Full and comprehensive coverage in today’s Derry Journal