Dog owners in Derry’s Waterside have been urged to be more responsible amid concerns of the extent of dog fouling in the area.
Sinn Fein Councillor Bridget Meehan said she has contacted the council’s dog warden over the fouling at Riverview Terrace and Dunfield after being made aware of the problem by a number of local residents.
“I have contacted the dog wardens at Derry City Council. They’ve carried out a clean-up of Riverview and they’ve scheduled a clean-up of Dunfield.
“But I would also call on dog owners to be more responsible when walking their dogs and to remember that they are obliged to pick up waste from their dog. Fines of £75 can be issued to owners who fail to clean up after their dog.
“A dog foul bin is installed outside the Riverview play park for the use of dog owners and I would encourage people to make use of it,” she said.
Clor. Meehan said people may not be aware of the potential dangers of dog foul.
“A single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million types of bacteria which are known to cause cramps, diarrhoea, intestinal illness and serious kidney disorders in humans.
“Dog waste is also one of the most common carriers of diseases such as heartworms, whipworms, hookworms, roundworms and tapeworms. If dogs have not been wormed, their waste can cause toxocariasis which leads to partial blindness in children,” she said.