Launch of 2014 Donegal Annual

The front cover of the 2014 Donegal Annual,  with the cover art "Errigal in Autumn" by Carey Clarke.

The front cover of the 2014 Donegal Annual, with the cover art "Errigal in Autumn" by Carey Clarke.

0
Have your say

The 2014 Donegal Annual, edited by Inishowen man Sean Beattie, is to be launched on October 21st by Liam Ó Cunneagáin, former Donegal Person of the Year.

The Annual, produced by the Donegal Historical Society, consists of twenty one articles, followed by book reviews, details of the schools’ competition and a comprehensive Donegal bibliography. Also included is the diary of events for next year. Inishowen features heavily in the book, with the excavations at Carrickabraghy Castle in Isle of Doagh extensively reported by Richard Crumlish.

Dr. Conor Curran, a FIFA Havelange Research Fellow, also puts the spotlight on Donegal players in the English soccer leagues from 1945 to 2010. For the record, the first Donegal player to feature in the English leagues after the war was Chris Fletcher, a native of Buncrana.

Donegal’s Penny Nurses in the era 1903 - 1923, are the subject of an article by Seán Beattie. This is a fascinating look at the local health service of 100 years ago.

For the 23rd consecutive year, Helen Meehan is a contributor to the Annual. This year, she examines the history of Cumann na mBan in Donegal.

Other articles in the book include a look at Donegal and the First World War by Richard Doherty. Uinsionn Ó Breisleáin also focuses on that era and surrounding years in Comóradh agus Céiliúradh 1912 - 1922, as does William Holmes in The War of Independence and the Laggan.

Further back in time, Tomás G.Ó Canann concentrates on Medieval Donegal and Terry Dolan looks at the Surveys and Rentals of the Manor of Castlefinn, 1631 - 1835, while Rev. Bernard Canning details the local history of the Cistercians from 1218 to 2013.

Lillis Ó Laoire focuses on St. Colmcille’s well at Ardsbeg and René Balthasar, the noted German archaeologist, delves into the history of the Malinmore portal tomb complex. For more information, see www.donegalhistory.com.