Limavady’s workhouse dead remembered

Some of the crowd who attened the remembrance service forthe Paupers at the graveyard on Scroggy road.(1903JB20)
Some of the crowd who attened the remembrance service forthe Paupers at the graveyard on Scroggy road.(1903JB20)
0
Have your say

Not even the dismal weather could spoil the enthusiasm of those who gathered at the weekend to mark the 171st anniversary of the opening of the Newtown Limavady Workhouse.

Speaking at the annual event, which is organised by Limavady Community Development Initiative, Limavady Borough Councillor Cathal McLaughlin thanked LCDI and their Chairman Keith Leighton for their continued efforts in remembering the workhouse dead.

“It is particularly gratifying to see so many children in attendance,” said the Mayor. “The workhouse only closed its doors in 1932, so it is very much still within living memory for many people in the borough and it is important that we remember these things.”

Father Eddie Gallagher led those present in prayer and offered a blessing, and acknowledged the hundreds of people of all denominations buried within the pauper’s graveyard.

Accompanied by their teacher Ms Lindsay McSparron, the P7 class of the Central Primary School delighted the gathering with a rendition of a beautiful poem written they had penned.

The children defied the wind and hail each in turn delivering their lines.

The artistic note continued as Andrew from St Mary’s Pipe band played a haunting lament for the repose of all of the souls buried within.

LCDI manager, Damien Corr thanked those who participated in the event and reminded groups that free talks and tours of the workhouse are still available.