One of Derry’s most popular Chinese take-away outlets will re-open next week for the first time since it closed as a result of a fire in March.
On March 11, a fire broke out inside the kitchen of the Mandarin Karma restaurant on the Strand Road.
The fire was battled by 130 fire fighters from all over the North and was so serious it resulted in the closing of the Mandarin Karma, Mandarin Palace and the Mandarin Palace take-away.
Not only did the fire have a devastating impact upon the owners of the business it also resulted in over 60 people losing their jobs.
Speaking to the ‘Journal’ yesterday afternoon, business owner, Stan Lee, said he was looking forward to welcoming back many of his old customers and some new ones when the take-away re-opens for business next Wednesday.
“The new Mandarin Palace take away and delivery service will re-open on Wednesday July 22 at Lower Clarendon Street, around the corner from where our Queen’s Quay location is,” said Mr. Lee.
“We are really excited at the prospect of welcoming back all of our old customers, old and new and we would like to thank everyone for all of their overwhelming support.”
Mr. Lee also told the ‘Journal’ that he expected to re-open the Mandarin Palace Chinese Restaurant in September.
The PSNI investigated the cause of the fire and last month they confirmed that they were not treating the blaze as suspicious.
The Mandarin Palace first opened on the Strand Road in Derry in 1989 and before the blaze it was regarded as one of Derry’s most popular restaurants.
On the day of the fire, Mr. Lee entered the burning building to try and extinguish the fire.
“We built the business up for 25 years, it was like a baby to me and now it’s gone. Words can’t convey how I am feeling right now,” Mr. Lee told the ‘Journal’ back in March.
The Mandarin Palace take-away telephone numbers will remain the same as before when the business re-opens next week. Telephone 028 71 262818 or 02871 264613.