Marathon sponsors Foyle Hospice want runners for 2016

Pictured at the launch of the Walled City Marathon/Foyle Hospice Charity Partnership are Gerry Lynch, representing the Walled City Marathon Committee, Foyle Hospice Staff Nurses Marion O'Donnell and Noella McDaid and Hospice CEO Donall Henderson
Pictured at the launch of the Walled City Marathon/Foyle Hospice Charity Partnership are Gerry Lynch, representing the Walled City Marathon Committee, Foyle Hospice Staff Nurses Marion O'Donnell and Noella McDaid and Hospice CEO Donall Henderson
0
Have your say

Derry charity Foyle Hospice are appealing to local people to join Hospice Team 26.2 and sign up for this year’s Walled City Marathon.

Foyle Hospice have just been unveiled as the official ‘charity partner’ for this years Walled City Marathon.

The event, which takes place on Sunday 5th June, is in its fourth year and has grown in strength and numbers since its inception in 2013.

Ciaran McGinley, Head of Fundraising at the Foyle Hospice said: “We are absolutely delighted to have been chosen as the official charity partner for this year’s Walled City Marathon.

The event has been a great spectacle for our city since 2013 with participants from all over the world travelling to take part. We have had quite a few of the runners over the past 3 years raise money for the Hospice through their participation and we hope to encourage as many of those ‘brave souls’ to choose the Hospice again this year.

“As we only receive 30% funding from local government towards our annual running costs we rely greatly on the wonderful generosity of our local community to help us raise the remaining 70% and it is through support from events like the Walled City Marathon that we strive to raise that target each year.”

Gerry Lynch, representing the Walled City Marathon organising committee said: “We are delighted to have chosen Foyle Hospice as our Charity Partner for 2016. The marathon presents a great opportunity for those participating to complete the 26.2 mile course in the knowledge that they have raised a considerable amount of money to help a local charity to continue its good work. We look forward to working with the Hospice this year.”

The Fundraising Team at the Hospice are currently looking to recruit runners to join Team 26.2 where members will receive guaranteed entry into the event and a Hospice branded running vest to wear on the day.

There will also be exclusive entry to the Hospice marquee in the finish area where there will be welcoming refreshments and a light post-race massage.

For those who have already secured entry to the run please consider raising some sponsorship for Foyle Hospice.

To find out more about Team 26.2 or to request a sponsorship pack please contact the Foyle Hospice on (028)71359888 or e-mail ciaran@foylehospice.com