A woman whose partner passed away suddenly while she was expecting their second child, has failed to get a nursery place for their eldest son.
Speaking to the Journal Anna Summanen said: “Roni’s father Connor passed away almost 16 months ago, and it’s been a difficult time for us all.
“As the house I have just bought is overlooking the nursery I assumed our son would get in there. But I’m from Finland and had been living in England and I now realise the system here works very differently and proximity to the school has no bearing when allocating places.
“I don’t think it’s working and I feel that those working full-time are discriminated against.
“I may not send Roni to a nursery now because he didn’t get any of the schools near to our home and those available are so far away. I may not have any choice but to keep him with a childminder for an extra year.”
A spokesperson for the Western Education and Library Board (WELB), said, “We would advise any parent/guardian who is dissatisfied with an outcome to contact the pre-school provider and request information on where their child is currently placed on the waiting list. Parents/guardians can also appeal the decision of the pre-school provider; this request should be submitted to the WELB by 4pm on Wednesday 23rd April.”