A single mum of five says doesn’t know how she will afford to rebuild her home after a flood destroyed her kitchen appliances, flooring and many of her children’s toys.
Kathleen Lynes-Fletcher said her house at Cashelhill Park in Galliagh resembled “something out of a horror” movie when water started to flood through her bathroom and kitchen without warning on Sunday afternoon.
“I was cooking something for the wains when I heard a dripping noise. I turned and saw water dripping through the light fixture on the ceiling. Then there was a loud, rumbling noise before water started pouring everywhere.
“It was running down the walls, through the ceiling. The electricity sockets were sparking. We have different alarms wired in the house - smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms and these were all going off.
“We turned the water off at the mains but it still kept coming.
“The kitchen appliances are ruined. We can’t use the electricity - the lights are flickering even though they are switched off.” Kathleen whose children are aged between a year and 15 said she has not slept since the flood and has been devastated at the loss of vital belongings. “No one is going to help me. I asked Apex (the housing association) and they say they are only covered for the structural work needed on the house.”
Kathleen who has lived in Cashelhill Park for 12 years says she had contacted Apex numerous times over the last seven years in regards to plumbing issues in her family home. Independent election candidate Dee Quigley said the incident was a “catastrophe which need not have happened” adding “Apex have a social and moral obligation to help this tenant get back on her feet.”
A spokesperson for Apex said yesterday they have been working to resolve all issues in Kathleen’s home. He added that the association recommends all tenants take out home contents insurance.