Possible loyalist link to Derry bomb scares

Police at yesterday's security near Trafalgar Court.
Police at yesterday's security near Trafalgar Court.

Police in Derry say they are looking into possible links between Thursday’s two security alerts in the Waterside and loyalist groups.

Speaking to the Derry Journal on Friday morning, Chief Inspector, Tony Callaghan, said whilst investigating officers were refusing to rule “anyone out or in” their main line of enquiry would be focusing on “groupings” within the areas where the two security alerts took place.

“We are investigating both incidents on the basis that they are linked - unless our enquiries tell us otherwise.

“Pipe-bombs have been used by various groups in Northern Ireland, we are not ruling any one in or out, but the fact that these incidents happened in the area in the Waterside the main line of enquiry would be around groupings at this stage,” he said.

At around 11am on Thursday, the PSNI confirmed that they were dealing with a security alert after a suspicious device was discovered in the front garden of a house in Trafalgar Court.

Less than two hours later and it was again confirmed by police that a second suspicious device had been discovered near Jeffrey Avenue. The Jeffrey Avenue alert was the third security alert in Derry in as many days.

The two security alerts stopped shortly before 7pm on Thursday evening.

The two devices were removed by Ammunition Technical Officers (ATO) and will be examined for forensic evidence.