Rehab plan for Bob Mullan arsonist

The courthouse at Bishop Street, Derry.

The courthouse at Bishop Street, Derry.

A district judge has endorsed a rehabilitation plan for a teenager charged with causing over £200,000 worth of damage to Bob Mullan Motors’ Showrooms in Ballykelly in an arson attack in February.

The 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named due to his age, appeared at Derry Youth Court on Tuesday, October 4, after a judge had asked for more clarity to be brought to a youth conference plan.

A defence lawyer for the boy, told the Court how at a previous sitting District Judge Harry McKibben had asked for “greater clarity” on aspects of the plan .

District Judge McKibben had on September 20, asked for more detail on points that the defendant “engage with appropriate therapeutic interventions” and in “educational training.”

On Tuesday, defence for the boy said: “To cut a long story short it was accepted that the offence was at the top end of the register.”

He told the Court how there had been no antecedents in terms of offending, and how the boy had entered early pleas to charges of arson, burglary with intent to steal and attempted criminal damage. He said the clarity requested by District Judge McKibben had now been provided and the boy was “starting to get back on track.”

He told the Court: “There are people who repeatedly offend at the lower end of the register and there are others who offend once at the top end.”

District Judge Barney McElholm endorsed the updated youth conference plan.