Restaurant re-opens after fire drama

The scene at the Firebox Grill/Railway Tavern on Thursday night as firefighters prepare to enter the Fahan restaurant. 1704JM35

The scene at the Firebox Grill/Railway Tavern on Thursday night as firefighters prepare to enter the Fahan restaurant. 1704JM35

0
Have your say

CUSTOMERS in one of Inishowen’s leading restaurants had to be evacuated last night when a blaze erupted in the kitchen.

Patrons in Fahan’s Railway Tavern and Firebox Grill were rushed to safety after a fire in their grill vent.

1704JM34

1704JM34

Two fire appliances dealt with the blaze which happened at around 8.30pm. It is understood a member of staff was treated at the scene for minor burns to his hands. However no-one was seriously injured in the fire.

The popular restaurant located near the Donegal/Derry border, took to its Facebook page last night to apologise to its customers who were evacuated.

“Apologies to all our customers who we evacuated earlier due to a fire in our grill vent ,” the post said.

Despite it causing a stir in Fahan last night, the fire damage was minimal and the owners worked hard to get the business- renowned for its steaks - back open again.

They advised their Facebook followers the bar was back open later last night and the restaurant would be open as normal today at 5pm.

Well wishers then took to the social media site saying they were glad to hear there was no damage to the building or no-one was hurt.

One fan said: “Thank God for that because I’m heading there for my birthday dinner tomorrow night!”

No-one from the Fire Service in Inishowen or the Railway Tavern was available for comment this morning.