Shock at sheep carcase on Culdaff beach

The abandoned sheep carcase on Caratra Strand. (1301PG22)
The abandoned sheep carcase on Caratra Strand. (1301PG22)
0
Have your say

An Inishowen man was horrified this week when he discovered the carcase of a dead animal on one of the peninsula’s finest beaches.

The man, who wishes to remain anonymous, was walking his dog on Caratra Strand in Culdaff this week when he found the remains of a dead sheep laying on the famous Blue Flag beach.

It is not known at this stage how the animal came to be on the beach, but it is believed the sheep has been lying on the strand for at least one week.

The man who contacted the ‘Journal’ said people, animals and children are forced to walk by the deceased animal every day and, he believes, it is time someone took action.

“I’ve walked by it for the past three days and nobody is doing anything about it.

“The farmer who owns this animal has a legal responsibility to bury their dead livestock.”

The concerned resident believes Donegal County Council needs to take action to remove the sheep, and to find out who owned it and how it came to be left rotting on the beach in the first place.

“I don’t think this animal was washed ashore, maybe it was dumped or maybe it wandered down to the beach and died of exposure, but someone somewhere is missing one sheep.

“This animal has been lying there dead for a week now, and no-one seems to care.

“Regardless of this, its time the Council removed the animal from the beach because it certainly isn’t doing our Blue Flag status any good.

“Are they not patrolling the beaches making sure they are kept up to scratch any more?”

Health and safety issue

He added: “The sheep is laying in the middle of the beach where loads of people walk their dogs, and play with their children. What if some children were to go up and touch it?

“It’s a serious health and safety issue, and it certainly isn’t good for visitors.”

The local man said the recent reports of farmers being taken to court for not looking their animals, and the death of a donkey from exposure in Fanad forced him to contact the ‘Journal’.

“We have to make sure this can’t happen again,” he added.

At the time of going to press, Donegal County Council had not responded to a request by the ‘Journal’ for a comment on the issue.