Start of ‘boy racer’ operation welcomed

The new initiative will include high visibility patrols at night in the Strand Road area of the city.

The new initiative will include high visibility patrols at night in the Strand Road area of the city.

0
Have your say

The deployment of police resources to tackle “boy racers” in Derry’s city centre has been welcomed.

Sinn Féin Councillor Mickey Cooper said local residents will be relieved to see the new initiative by the PSNI to tackle the issue in the Strand Road area being implemented.

The new operation got under way on Friday night, and will be part of a wider multi-agency approach to addressing driving standards across the city.

Colr. Cooper said the issue has been of huge concern to local residents.

He said: “I welcome the news that the first phase of this initiative has taken place.

“I have organised a number meetings between residents and the PSNI over the issue which left the police in no doubt about residents’ concerns.

“ And I will ensure that there are follow up meetings with residents and police to gauge the success of how this is going.

“I hope this initiative is successful and as we move forward brings peace of mind to local residents and improves road safety in that part of the city.”

Police earlier this month confirmed to the Journal that the operation along Strand Road was taking place and “that police are working with partner agencies to address issues relating to driving standards in the city”.