Strand Road power cut

0
Have your say

Almost 300 Strand Road and Old Mill Court homes and businesses were left without power on Thursday evening after an unexplained power cut, reports Laurence McClenaghan.

A number of customers in the Eglinton area of the city had already had their power restored earlier in the week.

A number of business such as the Cinebowl in Pennyburn and Sainsbury’s supermarket on the Strand Road were temporarily without power.

Some Northern Ireland Electricity customers were left without power for over an hour. The cause of the blackout is still being investigated by NIE.

Staff at the electricity provider have been busy this week as around 35,000 Northern Ireland customers were forced to deal with power cuts attributed to the stormy conditions.

Roy Coulter, Duty Incident Manager at Northern Ireland Electricity said: “We worked closely with the Met Office to prepare for the storms which saw gusts of over 80 miles per hour. We had teams in place early on Tuesday morning and so were able to respond quickly when the storm hit. Customers across Northern Ireland were affected however the Ballymoney, Ballycastle, Ballyclare, Eglinton and Strabane areas suffered the most damage.”

Over 600 individual faults had to be repaired and extensive tree cutting, pole replacement and line repairing and restringing had to be completed by NIE engineers.

In many cases this work was carried out during the hours of darkness.

A spokesperson for Northern Ireland Electricity said: “Around 282 customers in the Strand Road and Old Mill Court areas of Derry lost electricity supplies at 17:28 on Thursday (5 January). NIE emergency repair teams responded immediately and restored electricity to all customers by 18:40.”