A senior investigating officer has been appointed from the Serious Crime Branch to oversee the murder investigation into Bloody Sunday, with plans to recall local eyewitnesses to the atrocity in coming months, it’s been revealed.
The details emerged following a meeting between the Bloody Sunday families and wounded and senior police last week, in which the families were told of the new SIO post and how the investigation will progress going forward.
It is the first time the families and survivors have met with PSNI since last December.
Central to the investigation will be the recalling of key civilian witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry. A process which, the families were told, could begin over the summer months.
A PSNI spokesperson told the ‘Journal’ this week: “After consultation with the Public Prosecution Service, officers provided an outline of the processes involved and the challenges posed by a criminal investigation into the events of 30 January 1972.
“The delegation was informed about the appointment from Serious Crime Branch of a Senior Investigating Officer and the allocation of resources to create an investigation team which is in the process of beginning work.”
The police statement also said that in order for the investigation to be as comprehensive and effective as possible, “police will be asking for public support in the form of witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry now making statements to detectives. This is because police are precluded from using Saville testimony in a criminal investigation.”
Details on how this process will be facilitated will be made available in the near future, police said.
Campaigner John Kelly, whose younger brother Michael was murdered on Bloody Sunday, welcomed the appointment of a Senior Investigating Officer to the case and hoped that the case would proceed without delay.
“The meeting was about putting faces to names and giving the families an opportunity to ask questions about the process,” he said.
“It was a very constructive meeting. We were told that four to six police officers will be deployed as family liaison officers and it was agreed that we would be given an update every three months, which is of vital importance,” Mr Kelly added.