Local people have been urged to review safety in their homes after a chip pan blaze claimed the life of a Derry grandfather.
Anthony (Tony) McFeely - who was known to his friends as Montana - was found dead in his Upper Bennet Street address on Sunday morning.
His Funeral Mass will take place at the Long Tower tomorrow morning.
Fire & Rescue Service teams were called to the mid-terrace house where Mr McFeely had recently moved to at 8.09am on Sunday.
Four fire appliances were tasked to the scene from both Northland Road and Crescent Link, but the fire was already out and Mr. McFeely, who was in his 40s, was found dead at the scene.
A F&RS spokeswoman said: “Early indications would suggest it was an accidental fire due to a chip pan.”
Funeral Mass will he held in St Columba’s Church, Long Tower tomorrow morning at 10am.
Father Edward Gallagher said everyone in the parish was still coming to terms with the man’s death.
He said: “I live two streets away and I was there outside the house on Sunday morning. There was quite a commotion. The neighbours especially were very shocked.
“He had not been living there very long, but still to have something like that happening on their doorstep is shocking.
“It is terribly tragic for his family.”
In light of the chip pan fire, Fr Gallagher urged other families across the diocese to be vigilant over potential dangers in the home.
“Safety is paramount and we should do all we can in each of our homes, particularly in the run up to Christmas, when we are using so many more appliances,” he said, adding: “We don’t need any more tragedies before Christmas.”
Sinn Fein councillor Patricia Logue and SDLP MLA Pat Ramsey have also expressed their condolences to the family.
Mr McFeely’s Funeral procession will leave his daughter Ciara’s home at 6 Abbotts Walk, tomorrow at 9.20am for St. Columba’s Church, Longtower for Requiem Mass at 10am.Interment is due to take place afterwards in the City Cemetery.