UNderground cable fire - residents evacuated

CHAPEL ROAD GAS LEAK. . . .The scene at Chapel Road on Wednesday afternoon as the Fire Service attended a suspected gas leak in the area. Residents were evacuated for a time. DER4013JM031
CHAPEL ROAD GAS LEAK. . . .The scene at Chapel Road on Wednesday afternoon as the Fire Service attended a suspected gas leak in the area. Residents were evacuated for a time. DER4013JM031

A number of homes in the Waterside area of the city were evacuated earlier this afternoon due to a suspected gas leak.

A number of homes were evacuated as a precautionary measure after the alarm was raised at approximately noon.

Firefighters responded to reports of smoke emanating from a hole in the ground.

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service confirmed: “As a precautionary measure firefighters and PSNI colleagues evacuated residents from lower Chapel Road. A gas monitor was used and confirmed carbon monoxide was issuing from the hole, due to a damaged underground electrical cable. Firefighters also monitored the air in lower Chapel Road, but no carbon monoxide was found.”

The alert has primarily affected those living on the Chapel Road. Diversions are in place for motorists as the road has also been closed.

A PSNI spokesperson has asked those travelling in the Waterside to avoid the route until further notice.

NIE are currently working to repair the cable.